What is VIEW-hub?
VIEW-hub is an open-access data visualization tool that displays data on vaccine introduction, use, coverage, access, impact, and disease burden for nine vaccines: the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, the rotavirus vaccine, the Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine, the inactivated polio vaccine, the human papillomavirus vaccine, the typhoid vaccine, the measles-containing vaccine (second-dose), the measles-rubella vaccine, and vaccines for COVID-19. The module for COVID-19 also tracks vaccine effectiveness, efficacy, impact, neutralization, and safety studies.
For the nine vaccine modules currently included, we track a range of data points, including:
- Introduction and use
- Introduction status: introduced, planning to introduce, no decision
- Date of introduction
- Program type: universal, subnational, at-risk populations only
- Vaccine product (manufacturer)
- Dosing schedule
- Distribution strategy (for HPV only)
- Access (country population x coverage, displayed by country)
- Number of children without access to the vaccine
- WUENIC coverage rates
- Official country-reported coverage
- Number of children vaccinated
- Number of children unvaccinated
- Disease burden (currently for S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae type b, typhoid, and measles)
- Number of cases
- Number of deaths
The data is displayed at the global level for each vaccine in maps and tables. At the country level, a dashboard displays the data and charts display time series data. Every country (194 countries total) has a dedicated page with country-specific information, including a vaccine overview, impact studies for the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and rotavirus vaccine, economic burden data, and disease burden data. The vaccine overview includes vaccine introduction status, when the vaccines were introduced, program type, dosing schedule, product, and latest vaccine coverage rates for the vaccines tracked on VIEW-hub.
In addition to the vaccine modules, VIEW-hub houses various vaccine resources. These include the COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness Results Summary Table and Dataset (updated weekly), which provide detailed summaries of the latest scientific literature examining the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccination, as well as the VIEW-hub Report on Global Vaccine Introduction and Implementation (updated quarterly), which displays data and figures on the introduction, use, and coverage status of the nine vaccines included on VIEW-hub.
VIEW-hub also includes Topic Pages, which highlight other vaccine-related data and data visualizations that are not necessarily antigen-specific.
All data on VIEW-hub are available for download.
History of VIEW-hub
VIEW-hub was launched in March 2016 and has become a go-to resource for researchers, global decision makers and funders, policymakers, and advocates looking for up-to-date and reliable information on vaccine introduction, use, coverage, access, disease burden, and health and economic impact. From 2016 to 2023, VIEW-hub has grown from four to nine vaccine modules.
How is VIEW-hub updated?
Data presented on VIEW-hub are continually updated based on the frequency of data release or data availability. Targeted searches for new vaccine introduction data are conducted quarterly and a full data audit is conducted every six months. Immunization experts are routinely consulted about new updates or for verification of data. WHO and Gavi are the primary data sources.
More information on the VIEW-hub data collection and data update process can be found in our methods.
Where has VIEW-hub been used?
VIEW-hub has been used in a multitude of places. It has been cited by academic journals, news organizations, public health organizations, and academic institutions, among others. Notably, VIEW-hub was cited in:
- CDC – Science Brief: COVID-19 Vaccines and Vaccination
- The Lancet – Duration of effectiveness of vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 disease: results of a systematic review and meta-regression
- The New York Times – What We Know So Far About Waning Vaccine Effectiveness
- PLOS Medicine – Levels of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine coverage and indirect protection against invasive pneumococcal disease and pneumonia hospitalisations in Australia: An observational study
- VoICE – Why Rotavirus Vaccine Introduction in Nigeria is a Milestone for Child Health